Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving

I returned from Lusaka last Friday and spent the night in Serenje. Then on Saturday morning I woke up fairly early and after the morning shower ended I hitched out to Chalata and walked the 12km back to my village because I was still a little too sore to bike on the bumpy road. I was really excited to see my kitty, who was also super excited to see me. I only spent 38 hours there and most of the time I was lying down in bed with my kitty. I still wasn't strong enough to carry water or things so I couldn't stay long on my own. I left monday morning to go back to Serenje, walking 12km again, for our semi annual Provincial meetings. Everyone was there by Tuesday and we had our official meetings on Wednesday. In a way it sucks to have 26 volunteers staying together in the same small house, but it was nice to see everyone and catch up. On Thursday we just cooked and baked and finished by 7pm for our wonderful thanksgiving dinner. We had 2 turkeys (one frozen from Lusaka and another one live that had to be slaughtered and prepared,) green been casarole, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, corn bread, apple bread, banana bread, mac and cheese, pumpkin pie, apple pie and cheesecake. It was delicious and we had a lot left over. I left the next afternoon on the PC bus headed to lusaka, where I am staying with a different host family until I fly out tomorrow morning. It worked out well because there is a monthly market at the church near the pc office and it just happened to be today so I was able to go there and buy the rest of my Christmas presents. The prices were pretty high and because there were so many rich white people it was difficult to get good deals but it was still cheaper than shopping at the Joburg airport. Also, a lot of the people actually make their own things whereas the Sunday craft market is mostly imported things from Tanzania, the Congo, Zimbabwe, or South Africa. I can't think of anything else to say except that I am so excited about going to Italy in the morning!!!! (Although I do feel a little bad because except for the 38 hours I will have been out of my village for 6 weeks straight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment