Saturday, September 20, 2014

Noise Pollution

We have rented a house in a new neighborhood of Chalata. The area was recently designated for new development and plots are sold fairly inexpensively on the condition that the owner begin building within a year and the houses must all be modern houses and no mud huts. This area was designated about the same time that the government initiated a new loan program for teachers in which they can essentially get a loan with no questions asked. So, many of the teachers in Chalata have taken out loans and built or are building houses in this new neighborhood. Most of them have completed their own houses and are also completing rental houses for income generation. While, Zambians need options for loans and better banking services, I do not think this is the best system. When teachers receive loans, without having to make a plan for repayment, they will likely default on the loan in the end. The idea of renting out houses as a stable way to generate income and repay the $15,000 loan is unlikely to succeed as there are not that many potential renters and few can afford to pay a reasonable price. My husband and I are obviously an exception to this. We happened to relocate to Chalata right as a few teachers were finishing these modern rental houses and naturally the $100 of rent per month is nothing for us compared to what we would pay back home in the states. We chose the one house that includes access to water from the landlord's pump/tank and quickly moved in. We were happy to move into this nice 3 bedroom house that even has electricity. We also thought that living with relatively well-off neighbors, most of whom are educated and work as teachers, would be convenient. Despite the many rules for the neighborhood, there is little real enforcement so we still find some "village problems" that we had hoped to avoid. For example, one neighbor refuses to adhere to the rule that chickens must be penned and he allows his 4 hens, 12 chicks, and rooster to roam the area in search of food so that he doesn't have to buy feed for them. The problem with this is that the chickens quickly find all the gardens and help themselves. We lost all of our papaya seeds, and other seedlings to chickens and now the garden beds we prepared remain empty until we can find a solution to the chicken problem. If we want to plant, we would have to pay for a fence or use hanging pots all because one selfish man refuses to follow the rule that would benefit not only me, but all my other neighbors who have gardens as well. I have threatened the man, by saying that if I find his chicken in my garden again, I will eat it for dinner, but he must not believe me because they still roam free. I am currently in the process of training my cat to kill the chicks and chase the adults away, hopefully it will help some. In the meantime, my husband just throws rocks at them whenever he sees them in the yard. In addition to the chicken issue, we have had a huge noise issue. Because the source of water is very near to our house and in particular, our bedroom window, there are frequently people gathering outside our window waiting to fill buckets and jerrycans. They usually greet each other and gossip a bit, which doesn't bother me. However, many of them like to entertain themselves by listening to music on their phones. In America, when one listens to music on a phone in public, one would use headphones, but not here. They turn on the music as loud as it will possibly go. By music, I should clarify that it is really just noise. "Zampop," the preferred genre of music is excessive bass, annoying fake sounding tricks from the keyboard and random words spoken in a variety of local languages and English...it's terrible. In addition the speakers on the cheap phones here are not made for musical enjoyment and begin screeching at the high volumes. Unfortunately, the noise issue has been the biggest cultural difference to overcome. Zambians actually think it is kind and generous to play their music as loud as possible because this gives everyone else the opportunity to enjoy it as well. Using headphones or reducing the volume, is almost considered selfish. No one would think for a minute, that their choice of music and their poor quality speakers might not be enjoyed at 6:00 in the morning. No, I can't do anything about the culture here and I won't begin to try, but I do desperately seek to set rules for my own yard. I constantly, walk out to the water tank and ask people to reduce the volume of their music while they are in my yard. I usually blame it on my husband sleeping, or say he is not feeling well, but mostly I just don't care to listen to your terrible noise from inside my own house. If I want to hear music, I will select my own preferred songs and will play them on my own, good quality Samsung, phone at a volume which allows me to hear fine, but cannot be heard at any of the neighboring houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment